Wednesday, January 15, 2014

A Patch of Blue

Can you see the little patch of blue
on the right side among the branches?
Wow, what a difference an hour makes!
Today has been intermittently gray and then sunny. At one point I watched as the gray sky swallowed up all the blue except a tiny little section. I focused on the small section of blue hoping to will the blue back. I just could not give into the gray and let it take over.

Many days in the winter I feel like gray and gloomy feelings are swallowing me up. I fight and fight the feelings and try desperately to focus on the happy things. I am desperate to not let the gray push me around. It is hard not to give in and just let the gray wash over me and many days it does. Seeing that little patch of blue fighting back today inspired me. As the afternoon wore on I could see that that little patch had worked its way into a bigger patch of blue with some sun thrown in. I liked that, I want to be like that. I want to see a rough patch in my life and focus on the good so hard that I smooth away the grayness.

I realize that a little gray or even a lot of gray is just part of life. It certainly helps make those sunny blue sky kinds of days all the sweeter doesn't it? I also know that sometimes it is up to me to be my own patch of blue, fighting back the gray with a good book, a cup of tea or a good conversation with a friend or even all three. Today is a good day to make your list of blue sky ideas. What takes away your grey and makes your inner sunshine? You never know when you will have to fight off the gray with a patch of blue.

No comments: