Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Jumping back into The Deeper Pond

After seven months of silence my fingers were itching to pound the keyboard a bit. A lot has happened in that seven months. My oldest daughter is thriving far away in Connecticut. My middle daughter is in her final week of study abroad in England and my youngest is slowly prying her fingers from the door jam and preparing to head to college in just three short weeks. I spent the last few months working on the  senior all night party that the graduating parents put on for the kids and I also spent a lot of that time struggling to let my youngest go. Somehow my letting go was harder than I had expected.

I am just three short weeks away from an empty nest. While I was worrying, cajoling and encouraging my youngest through her senior year, I was secretly worrying about what my next move would be once there are no children feathering our nest. While reality is that I continue to be a mother, my lead role becomes a walk on part and I am wondering if I am going to be able to pull that off.

I found myself a nice part-time job that I will start soon. The hours are great and I like the place which is a bonus. This will get me out of the house here and there throughout the week and since my husband works out of our house, it will also give us something to talk about. I do not want our nest to become boring. Honestly, so far in our almost twenty two years together there has not been a dull moment yet and I don’t want to start now!


There is going to be some adjusting going on around here for all of us. Perhaps by writing a little, working a little and long distance mothering a little, I can make it past the empty nest syndrome with “flying” colors. Cross your fingers! It would also be nice to have you along for this next phase of my swim in the deeper pond.

No comments: